I’m so excited to share this delicious Mezcal Mule recipe! This is another fun take on the classic Moscow Mule, only we paired together the smoky flavor of Mezcal instead of vodka in this fun Mexican mule.
This post contains affiliate links. See our full disclosure policy, here.
This is one of our favorite cocktails that we’ve made with Mezcal. If you are wondering what Mezcal is, essentially it is Tequila, only Tequila must be made from a specific agave cactus- the blue agave plant, whereas Mezcal can be made from any agave plant. It has a higher alcohol content and adds an interesting flavor to some of our favorite drinks. This fun twist on a classic cocktail is a simple drink- you only need a few ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need-
- Spicy Ginger Beer (we love Fever Tree ginger beer)
- Fresh Lime Juice
- also, for a little bit of sweetness, you can add agave nectar or agave syrup.
- For garnish, a fresh lime wheel or lime wedge is perfect.
- 1 cup ice
Step 1: Fill a copper mug with ice. Pour in Mezcal, lime juice, and agave, if using.
Step 2: Pour into your mug and then top the rest of the way with ginger beer.
Step 3: Garnish with fresh lime.
Substitutions and tips:
- If you don’t love how spicy ginger beer is, you can swap it for ginger ale, or dilute it a bit with some sparkling water or soda water.
- No copper mugs? No problem, the mug is supposed to enhance the flavor, but you can certainly enjoy this drink in a regular cocktail rocks glass.
- You can swap the Mezcal for regular tequila, if you prefer.
- Fresh mint and candied ginger also make some great garnishes for this drink.
We hope you love this Mezcal Mule cocktail recipe. You can save it for later by clicking the image below to save to Pinterest!
You might also like these other fun Mezcal cocktails-
This Spicy Mezcal Margarita is made with lime juice and jalapenos!
Our Frozen Mezcal Margarita is perfect for hot Summer days. (coming soon!)
Or, these other great mule recipes-
Irish Mule – this mule variation is made with Irish Whiskey!
The Classic Moscow Mule – coming soon!
- 1.5 ounces Mezcal
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar, optional
- Fresh limes for garnish
- Ice to fill the mug
- Fill a copper mug with ice. Pour in Mezcal, lime juice, and agave, if using.
- Pour into your mug and then top the rest of the way with ginger beer.
- Garnish with fresh lime.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.